With a reputation for accuracy and attention to detail, the 70-year-old Thomas Keating Ltd received the Queens Award for Enterprise for International Trade in 2012. If you have a technical plastic component, they have the experience and skills to support your project.
Thomas Keating has been involved in toolmaking for nearly 70 years and was proud to have received the Queens Award for Enterprise for International trade in 2012.
The company is a mould tool manufacturer with a reputation for accuracy and attention to detail. We make single and multi cavity tools for complex and technical mouldings in the electronic and medical fields including medical parts, hearing aids, aerosols, spray dispensers and rigid packaging.
Scientific ground and satellite instruments are also produced for our sister company on the same site using the toolmaking skills of our highly skilled staff – for example TK developed 67 pairs of radiometric targets to calibrate ALMA, the European Southern Observatory (ESO)’s flagship ground based telescope based in Chile.
Recent investment has been made in the field of electroforming wave-guide component technology. Our electroforming capabilities covers both copper and nickel supported by our gold plate processing.
Recent production machinery investment added to our manufacturing base is an Agie Progress VP2 wire machine that will enhance our wire erosion capability.
We have a fully integrated CAD/CAM capability built around Pro/Engineer Wildfire and EdgeCAM CAM software, with direct Ethernet links to all of our numerous CNC machines.
We have expanded our Jig Grinding capabilities to now include 3 CNC and 3 Manual Moore machines in a temperature controlled room where we process vital parts for AugustaWestland helicopters to high accuracy with quick turn round. This also allows TK to also offer a subcontract service for the grinding of forms, holes, punches and dies etc. Tolerances of 4 microns are the norm!
We have recently had our 400 Moore jig grinder rebuilt bringing the machine to better than original build tolerances with the added option of 3D micro milling by CNC control of the Z axis.
Therefore, if you have a technical plastic component, which requires an accurate mould tool from 1 to 96 cavities – please call us and find out more about our company – we have the experience and skills to support your project.
Thomas Keating plant list
• Computer Aided Design (CAD)
• 2 x Pro/Engineer Wildfire 5 on Dell Workstations
• 1 x HP Printjet A0 Plotter
• 1 x Dell 3110CN Colour Laser Printer
• 1 x HP 4P 600dpi Laser Printer
• 1 HP OfficeJet K7100 A3 Colour Printer
• Computer Aided Manufacture (CAM)
• 3 x Dell Workstations PC’s running EdgeCAM and Excalibar CAM
for Wire Erosion, Turning and Milling with links to CAD.
• Wire Erosion
• 1 x Agie Progress VP2 Wire erosion machine.
• 1 x Agiecut Classic 2S Wire erosion machine.
• CNC Erosion
• 1 x Agie Integral 2 Spark Erosion Machine
• 1 x Agietron Compact 1 spark erosion machine
• Fast hole drilling
• 1 x Sodick EDM fast hole drill
• Manual Erosion
• 2 x Charmille D.10 Spark Erosion Machines
• CNC Turning
• 1 x Hardinge Super Precision Turning Centre with Fagor controller
• 1 x Yang SML 30 turning Centre with Fanuc controller.
• 1 x DMG Gildermeister CTX 400 CNC Lathe with live tooling, Fanuc controller.
• 1 x Doosan Puma 2600Y CNC lathe, Y axis control with Fanuc controller
• Manual Turning
• 1 x Dean Smith & Grace Lathe
• 2 x Hardinge High Speed Precision Lathe
• 2 x Harrison Lathe M300 complete with readout
• CNC Milling
• 1 x DMG 50V Vertical High Speed Machining
• 1 X Bostomatic 32 GS CNC high speed milling machine
• 1 x Matsuura MC-550VG Machining centre
• 1 x Huron Working envelope X1000mm Y800mm Z500mm. Renishaw touch probe and
Hiendenhain tool setter . 20 pocket tool changer.
• Manual Milling
• 1 x Dufour Milling Machine complete with digital readout and all ancilliary equipment
• 1 x Bridgeport BR2J Milling Machine with digital readouts and all ancilliary equipment
• Jig Boring
• 1 x SIP Jig Borer 2
• 1 x SIP Jig Borer 1H
• 1 x Aciera Co-ordinate Drilling Machine complete with digital readout
• 1 x Radial Drilling Machine
• 1 x Pedestal Drill
• CNC Jig Grinding
• 1 x Moore CNC CP 8400 Jig Grinder
• 1 x Moore CNC CP Fanuc control
• 1 x Moore CNC CP4 axis 1050 with new drives and Fanuc controller
• Jig Grinding
• 3 x Moore/Catmur Jig Grinders
• Profile Grinding
• 1 x Wickman Optical Profile Grinder
• Surface Grinding
• 11 x Jones & Shipman 540 Surface Grinders
• 1 x Jones & Shipmman 1540 Surface Grinder
• 7 x Optidress attachments
• 2 x Scopes
• 1 x Jacobsen 1832 Surface Grinder complete with hydraulic wheel dresser
• Universal Grinding
• 1 x 1212 Jones & Shipman Cylindrical grinder
• 1 x 1311 Jones & shipman universal grinder
• 1 x Doall Bandsaw
• 1 x Delapena hone
• 1 x Taylor Hobson Engraving Machine
Usual Toolroom Inspection equipment including Rockwell Hardness Tester, Parnum Electronic
Gauge, Nikon Toolmakers’ Microscope, Mitutoyo Toolmakers’ Microscope, Tesa
Internal Micrometers, Hommel Height Gauges, etc.